Personal injury news

Policeman injured in motorcycle accident while escorting
Queen wins claim

A policeman is celebrating a successful personal injury claim after he was hurt in a motorcycle accident while guarding the Queen.

Constable Robert Martin was escorting the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh during the couple's 2002 Golden Jubilee tour of the Borders when he collided with a car as it pulled out of a junction.

His personal injury solicitors explained what happened next, saying, "He was thrown from his motorcycle, up and over the bonnet. He landed on his back striking it against the kerb.

"He managed to get to his feet for a short period then collapsed."

Mr Martin was rushed to hospital but X-rays revealed there were no broken bones and he was given a cocktail of painkillers and discharged after a night under observation. He did not return to work for 13 weeks and claims that he was left with post-traumatic stress disorder and serious depression. He also had to fork out 1,350 in dental fees because of damaged teeth and suffered lost sensation in the skin on his buttocks, thighs and scrotum.

The police officer made his personal injury compensation claim against the driver of the car, 70-year-old Bill Leuty, and was asking for 30,000 in addition to his legal fees.

The case was eventually settled out of court for an undisclosed sum, but Mr Leuty told of his displeasure at the decision, insisting that the motorcycle accident was not his fault.

He said, "I indicated when I came out of the junction at the brow of the hill and he drove into the front of my car. He was a good actor and staggered all over the place and I think my insurance company could have put up more of a fight."

It has been reported that the Queen witnessed the accident and later enquired about the injured police officer's condition.

For more information about Her Majesty the Queen, check out



Motorbike accident
Accident guides
Recovery store locator
Contact us

Biker's Protection 365, Motorbike accident

Car accident online chat
Free legal advice
A brief description of
accident and injuries:

How did you find us?

Type the text into the field below:
United Kingdom residents only
Claims Standard Council

HomePrivacy | Personal injury news |  Sitemap | Articles | Resources

*Where replacement vehicle costs can be recovered from the insurance company of the person who caused the accident. Where this person is untraceable or uninsured, or where there is a dispute over liability, a replacement vehicle cannot be provided.