Making an accident compensation claim through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau

If you have been involved in a non-fault accident and the other driver is uninsured or untraceable, you can still make a personal injury claim. In order to make a claim under these circumstances, we would deal with an organisation called the Motor Insurers’ Bureau.

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) is a government body established to help you claim compensation following a car accident with an uninsured or untraceable driver. The MIB is funded by UK insurance companies and enables you to claim both personal injury compensation and damage to your vehicle following an accident which wasn’t your fault. This is subject to a number of conditions, including some of the following:

  • There is a three year time limit, from the date of the car accident in which to make a compensation claim to the MIB. For those claims for vehicle damage, a claim must be made within 9 months of the car accident
  • If anybody is injured in the accident, then the police must be informed within 14 days of it taking place. In the case of vehicle damage, the police must be informed within 5 days of the incident
  • An acknowledgement must be obtained from the police, quoting a crime reference number. The applicant is also expected to fully cooperate with the police during their investigations

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau
The MIB’s main role is to carry out investigations to establish whether or not the uninsured was liable for causing the car accident. Their other task is to obtain evidence to support the value of the claim such as, medical reports, and documents relating to damage to property and vehicle.

A claim through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau can ensure that you receive compensation for the following:

  • Loss of income (past and future earnings)

  • Medical expenses (including any long-term care)

  • Pain and suffering (including psychological effects)

  • Disruption of day to day activities

  • Out of pocket expenses you would not have otherwise incurred

The decision made by the MIB on liability or the compensation amount is not final. An appeal can be made to reconsider any accident claims. Click here to visit the MIB website.

Our solicitors
Our solicitors have been dealing with the MIB for many years. Claims through the MIB require skillful and experienced handling within a strict time frame. Our solicitors have the skills and experience to ensure you receive the maximum compensation award with the least amount of complication.

Call us now so we can get your claim underway today
f you have been involved in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, and the person responsible was uninsured or untraceable, don't worry about the cost and stress of pursuing a car accident compensation claim. We will take care of everything for you working with the Motor Insurers’ Bureau . Call us now for free for friendly advice following a car accident on 0800 78 38 846 or click here to contact us online.



Motorbike accident
Accident guides
Recovery store locator
Contact us

Biker's Protection 365, Motorbike accident

Car accident online chat
Free legal advice
A brief description of
accident and injuries:

How did you find us?

Type the text into the field below:
United Kingdom residents only
Claims Standard Council

HomePrivacy | Personal injury news |  Sitemap | Articles | Resources

*Where replacement vehicle costs can be recovered from the insurance company of the person who caused the accident. Where this person is untraceable or uninsured, or where there is a dispute over liability, a replacement vehicle cannot be provided.